v17 – What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married?

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Video Script Below

“What do you do if you have a child and you’re not married? I’m Steve Kramer. I’m a Florida family law and divorce attorney. Now we’re going to look at situation where maybe you and your ex have a child together but you broke up and now you don’t have any kind of timesharing schedule set up. You don’t have any custody arrangements established. There’s no paternity or child support set. The question is what do you do? And there’s two options. One is you can file a paternity claim and that’s basically where you go to court and you ask the court to establish that you or your ex is the parent of the child. And the other option is you can go to Child Support Enforcement with the state of Florida and ask them to establish child support for you. Now, if you go ahead and file a paternity action this is going to allow you to establish a parenting plan. And a parenting plan basically sets forth how you’re going to raise this child. Everything – how you deal with school, how you deal with medical issues, who’s responsible for what, the amount of child support, where the child spends their time, everything.

If you go to the Department of Revenue for Child Support Enforcement, first off you may need to meet certain financial criteria. You may have to show that you’re indigent or be receiving benefits from the state of Florida. But if you do that, they will go ahead and they will argue for paternity and they will argue for child support. What they won’t argue is a parenting plan and this is an important note because a parenting plan can have a direct impact on the amount of child support. Meaning if you each have the child 50% of the time and you each make about the same amount of money, child support is going to be virtually minimal. But if one of you has the child 80% of the time and the other has the child 20% of the time, child support is going to be awarded to a much higher degree for the person who’s got the child most of the time. So that parenting plan can affect the child support. And if you go to the Department of Revenue for Child Support, they may get you child support but they’re not going to set forth the parenting plan and that can impact child support.

And I’m telling this because a lot of people are in this situation where they may not be married but they share a child in common with somebody else. And we deal with these issues all the time. If you have any questions, I’d be glad to talk with you, discuss your case, look at the situation. I deal with this stuff every day.

I’m Steve Kramer, thanks for watching the video.”

Call 877.493.4847 and I’d love to talk with you.
If you prefer email, please use the Contact Form on the Right.

Links to Videos with Scripts

What Happens If I Ignore Being Served by Divorce Papers
Marital Settlement Agreements
3 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
Should You Represent Yourself in a Divorce?
I Lost My Job After My Wife and I Split Do I Still Owe Child Support?
What is Alimony?
5 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
How Do We Prove Child Support in Your Case?
What is a Paternity Action?
Equitable Distribution
What is Mandatory Disclosure?
What is a Domestic Violence Injunction?
How Does Custody Work in Florida Divorces?
Tips for Better Communication with Children During Divorce
Woman Gets Sued Twice for the Same Mortgage on the Same House
How Social Media Can Affect Your Divorce Case?
What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married?
My Spouse Left Me With Nothing – What do I Do?
We Share Custody – Can We Waive Child Support?
Spouse is Keeping the House – Can My Name Be Taken Off Mortgage?
I got a New Job – How do I Relocate With My Child?
My Pay Went Down but Still Paying the Same in Child Support
Legally Married & Your Spouse has a Child? You are Assumed the Father
What is a Request for Production?
Haven’t Received Child Support in Years – How to get Back Support Owed
Ex-Husband in Parenting Plan Takes Child – What can the Wife do?
Wife Filed Domestic Violence Injunction-Do I Have to go to the Hearing?
How do You Prove Alimony?
What is Modification?
What is a Financial Affidavit?
Why We Might Turn Away Your Divorce Case
Top 5 Mistakes Made in Divorce
What Happens if I Ignore Being Served Divorce Papers?
How Does Mediation Work in a Florida Foreclosure Case?
My Wife has not Been Paying Child Support, What do I do?
Do I Have to Give my Wife Half of my Inheritance?
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
Man Gives Child Up for Adoption… Years Later Ordered to Pay Child Support
I’m Getting Married… Should I Get A Prenuptial Agreement?
I’ve Lost My Job & Must Still Pay Alimony – What Can I Do?

Connect and Follow us on:

Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Google Plus  Connect on FaceBook  Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Twitter  LinkedIn  New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm YouTube Video Channel  Subscribe to Post via RSS feed