v5 – I Lost My Job after My Wife and I Split Do I still owe Child Support

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Video Script Below

“I lost my job after my wife and I separated, do I have to pay child support? I’m Steve Kramer of the New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm. I’m a Florida family law and divorce attorney.This is an issue that comes up quite frequently, especially since the economy has turned for the worse. A lot of people are out of work, a lot of people are underemployed or not making as much money as they used to. And they want to know do I have to still pay child support? Or do I have to pay as much child support?

The bottom line is even if you’re unemployed the court is probably going to make you pay child support, because the court assumes – absent of disability – you have the capability of earning income. So what they’re going to do is called imputing income to you. And generally, they will at least impute minimum wage to you, because you’re capable of working – you’re capable of earning minimum wage.

Now what can happen is if your husband or wife decides to, they can bring in a vocational expert who can actually testify to your earning potential. So sometimes you have somebody who was making a substantial amount of money, they take a decrease in pay in order to minimize their support and it winds up backfiring. Because now not only did they take a deduction in pay, but also, they are going to be held accountable to the income that they had previously.

So, the bottom line is the vocational expert can come in impute the income that you’re capable of earning. So if you’re capable of earning $100,000 a year, even though you dropped back down to $50,000, the court can find you’re capable of earning $100,000 therefore you’re responsible for paying child support according to that.

Now, there are defenses to this – there are plenty of defenses, especially in this economy. But it’s something we want on, look at individually on a case-by-case basis – whatever side of the issue that you’re on. Now another thing you might have to deal with is an argument that you might be trying to conceal some side income or some cash income. So that’s another thing we’ll want to look at when we address your case, when you meet with us.

Now why am I telling you this?

Because if you’re dealing with a divorce these are issues that come up again and again and again, and we have dealt with them over and over. We deal with them on a daily basis. If you have any questions, give me a call at the number below – I’d love to help you out any way I can.

Thanks for watching! I’m Steve Kramer.”

Call 877.493.4847 and I’d love to talk with you.
If you prefer email, please use the Contact Form on the Right.

Links to Videos with Scripts

What Happens If I Ignore Being Served by Divorce Papers
Marital Settlement Agreements
3 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
Should You Represent Yourself in a Divorce?
I Lost My Job After My Wife and I Split Do I Still Owe Child Support?
What is Alimony?
5 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
How Do We Prove Child Support in Your Case?
What is a Paternity Action?
Equitable Distribution
What is Mandatory Disclosure?
What is a Domestic Violence Injunction?
How Does Custody Work in Florida Divorces?
Tips for Better Communication with Children During Divorce
Woman Gets Sued Twice for the Same Mortgage on the Same House
How Social Media Can Affect Your Divorce Case?
What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married?
My Spouse Left Me With Nothing – What do I Do?
We Share Custody – Can We Waive Child Support?
Spouse is Keeping the House – Can My Name Be Taken Off Mortgage?
I got a New Job – How do I Relocate With My Child?
My Pay Went Down but Still Paying the Same in Child Support
Legally Married & Your Spouse has a Child? You are Assumed the Father
What is a Request for Production?
Haven’t Received Child Support in Years – How to get Back Support Owed
Ex-Husband in Parenting Plan Takes Child – What can the Wife do?
Wife Filed Domestic Violence Injunction-Do I Have to go to the Hearing?
How do You Prove Alimony?
What is Modification?
What is a Financial Affidavit?
Why We Might Turn Away Your Divorce Case
Top 5 Mistakes Made in Divorce
What Happens if I Ignore Being Served Divorce Papers?
How Does Mediation Work in a Florida Foreclosure Case?
My Wife has not Been Paying Child Support, What do I do?
Do I Have to Give my Wife Half of my Inheritance?
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
Man Gives Child Up for Adoption… Years Later Ordered to Pay Child Support
I’m Getting Married… Should I Get A Prenuptial Agreement?
I’ve Lost My Job & Must Still Pay Alimony – What Can I Do?

Connect and Follow us on:

Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Google Plus  Connect on FaceBook  Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Twitter  LinkedIn  New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm YouTube Video Channel  Subscribe to Post via RSS feed