v46 – I’ve Lost My Job & Must Still Pay Alimony – What Can I Do?

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Video Script Below

“You’ve lost your job and you still are ordered by the court to pay alimony. What do you do? My name is Steve Kramer. I’m a Florida divorce attorney. And today we’re going to be talking about how to modify alimony. Now, alimony is governed under Florida statute 61.14. And if there was an alimony award entered in your case where you’ve been ordered to pay your spouse alimony, then the only way you’re going to come in and change it if it’s still in force is to file a petition to modify your alimony. What that means is that you’re telling the court there has been a substantial change in circumstances. Things have changed. You’ve lost your job, there’s been some other financial change, you have accumulated medical debt, you’re ill, you’re disabled – whatever. You’ve got to show a change in circumstances. And one of the changes in circumstances that can be a big factor is that maybe your spouse has entered into a supportive relationship or maybe they’ve gotten remarried. But even a supportive relationship can be basis to change alimony. So maybe they’ve moved in with somebody who’s taking care of them. Maybe somebody’s paying the bills, maybe there’s a sugar mamma or sugar daddy. Whatever. That would be a change in circumstances and that’s what we’re looking at when we file a petition to modify alimony.

The important thing is to not delay. Because if you delay, you’re still going to be ordered to pay it. And if you don’t pay it, you can be held in contempt meaning the court can do all sorts of nasty things that we don’t want the court to do. Basically, you need to get that petition to modify alimony filed as soon as you lose your job, as soon as there’s a financial change, as soon as there is a change in the nature of the relationship between your spouse and somebody else, meaning a supportive relationship. And you need to get that thing filed. Because a lot of the times when the court enters a judgment later on – let’s say they reduce your alimony from $1,000 a month down to $200 a month or maybe from $500 a month to nothing – they can go retroactive to the date that you filed. That means all that money that you would have owed, you don’t owe anymore. And if you don’t file then you don’t get that opportunity. And you don’t want to be like somebody, some clients that I’ve represented recently that might have waited 10 years before they filed it. Or 5 years, or even a year, because why be on the hook for more money than you need to be on the hook for? I’m telling you this because I see this all the time. And if you have any questions, call me at the number below. I deal with this every day.

I’m Steve Kramer. Thanks for watching.”

Call 877.493.4847 and I’d love to talk with you.
If you prefer email, please use the Contact Form on the Right.

Links to Videos with Scripts

What Happens If I Ignore Being Served by Divorce Papers
Marital Settlement Agreements
3 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
Should You Represent Yourself in a Divorce?
I Lost My Job After My Wife and I Split Do I Still Owe Child Support?
What is Alimony?
5 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
How Do We Prove Child Support in Your Case?
What is a Paternity Action?
Equitable Distribution
What is Mandatory Disclosure?
What is a Domestic Violence Injunction?
How Does Custody Work in Florida Divorces?
Tips for Better Communication with Children During Divorce
Woman Gets Sued Twice for the Same Mortgage on the Same House
How Social Media Can Affect Your Divorce Case?
What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married?
My Spouse Left Me With Nothing – What do I Do?
We Share Custody – Can We Waive Child Support?
Spouse is Keeping the House – Can My Name Be Taken Off Mortgage?
I got a New Job – How do I Relocate With My Child?
My Pay Went Down but Still Paying the Same in Child Support
Legally Married & Your Spouse has a Child? You are Assumed the Father
What is a Request for Production?
Haven’t Received Child Support in Years – How to get Back Support Owed
Ex-Husband in Parenting Plan Takes Child – What can the Wife do?
Wife Filed Domestic Violence Injunction-Do I Have to go to the Hearing?
How do You Prove Alimony?
What is Modification?
What is a Financial Affidavit?
Why We Might Turn Away Your Divorce Case
Top 5 Mistakes Made in Divorce
What Happens if I Ignore Being Served Divorce Papers?
How Does Mediation Work in a Florida Foreclosure Case?
My Wife has not Been Paying Child Support, What do I do?
Do I Have to Give my Wife Half of my Inheritance?
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
Man Gives Child Up for Adoption… Years Later Ordered to Pay Child Support
I’m Getting Married… Should I Get A Prenuptial Agreement?
I’ve Lost My Job & Must Still Pay Alimony – What Can I Do?

Connect and Follow us on:

Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Google Plus Connect on FaceBook Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Twitter LinkedIn New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm YouTube Video Channel Subscribe to Post via RSS feed