v13 – How Does Custody Work in Florida Divorces?

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Back to Divorce and Family Law Videos

Video Script Below

“How does custody work in a divorce in Florida? I’m Steve Kramer. I’m a Florida family law and divorce attorney. And today we’re going to talk about custody in the state of Florida. And the question is: what is custody in the state of Florida? And the answer is it doesn’t exist. The state legislature recently amended the laws and eliminated the term “custody.” It doesn’t exist anymore. Instead we have “time sharing.”

What does time sharing mean? Well, basically what happens in a divorce, you and your spouse will put together a parenting plan. And if you don’t put it together, the court will put it together. But there will be a parenting plan. And that parenting plan will govern exactly how you spend time with your children. And that may be every other weekend, every weekend, half the week with Mom, half the week with Dad, whatever. It will govern that. It will govern how you as parents deal with school, medical issues – anything that can potentially come up as a parent is going to be addressed by that parenting plan. And these parenting plans can be detailed; they can be 30 pages thick and govern everything from top to bottom. Or, if you and your spouse are able to get along a little bit better and don’t have to have everything worked out to the letter, then you can have a more broad parenting plan that works for you.

The bottom line is as long as you’re making decisions you can control the parenting plan. And if the courts come in then they will implement their own parenting plan, which they believe is in the best interest of the child. Now since the law was amended the presumption is that time sharing with the children is 50/50. And that means 50% of the time with Mom, 50% of the time with Dad. Now in the past, the presumption was not 50/50. And usually what would happen is Dad or Mom would have every other weekend and then some time in the middle of the week. Now that’s what it was in the past. Now there’s this 50/50 presumption and this is with the intention that the child should have contact with both Mom and Dad and that contact should be as equal as possible for the child’s benefit, because children need Mom and Dad. And anybody that’s looked at a divorce, has a family, knows that children need contact with the parents. Now if there’s some special circumstance where maybe your spouse is abusive or there’s a drug addiction or an alcoholism issue or maybe there’s just some issue that you believe is important, then of course we can attack that. We can attack the custody arrangements, the time sharing arrangements, and address that specifically.

That’s why it’s important to sit down with a skilled family law and divorce attorney. We deal with this stuff all the time. We’ve seen every type of family case you can imagine and we deal with these issues. So if you have any questions regarding your individual situation, give me a call. I deal with this stuff all the time.

I’m Steve Kramer. Thanks for watching. “

Call 877.493.4847 and I’d love to talk with you.
If you prefer email, please use the Contact Form on the Right.

Links to Videos with Scripts

What Happens If I Ignore Being Served by Divorce Papers
Marital Settlement Agreements
3 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
Should You Represent Yourself in a Divorce?
I Lost My Job After My Wife and I Split Do I Still Owe Child Support?
What is Alimony?
5 Things You Need to Know about Divorce
How Do We Prove Child Support in Your Case?
What is a Paternity Action?
Equitable Distribution
What is Mandatory Disclosure?
What is a Domestic Violence Injunction?
How Does Custody Work in Florida Divorces?
Tips for Better Communication with Children During Divorce
Woman Gets Sued Twice for the Same Mortgage on the Same House
How Social Media Can Affect Your Divorce Case?
What Can You Do if You Have A Child but Are Not Married?
My Spouse Left Me With Nothing – What do I Do?
We Share Custody – Can We Waive Child Support?
Spouse is Keeping the House – Can My Name Be Taken Off Mortgage?
I got a New Job – How do I Relocate With My Child?
My Pay Went Down but Still Paying the Same in Child Support
Legally Married & Your Spouse has a Child? You are Assumed the Father
What is a Request for Production?
Haven’t Received Child Support in Years – How to get Back Support Owed
Ex-Husband in Parenting Plan Takes Child – What can the Wife do?
Wife Filed Domestic Violence Injunction-Do I Have to go to the Hearing?
How do You Prove Alimony?
What is Modification?
What is a Financial Affidavit?
Why We Might Turn Away Your Divorce Case
Top 5 Mistakes Made in Divorce
What Happens if I Ignore Being Served Divorce Papers?
How Does Mediation Work in a Florida Foreclosure Case?
My Wife has not Been Paying Child Support, What do I do?
Do I Have to Give my Wife Half of my Inheritance?
What is a Prenuptial Agreement?
Man Gives Child Up for Adoption… Years Later Ordered to Pay Child Support
I’m Getting Married… Should I Get A Prenuptial Agreement?
I’ve Lost My Job & Must Still Pay Alimony – What Can I Do?

Connect and Follow us on:

Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Google Plus  Connect on FaceBook  Follow New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm on Twitter  LinkedIn  New Future Divorce & Family Law Firm YouTube Video Channel  Subscribe to Post via RSS feed